Sunday, June 5, 2011

Never2old4soccer???

I used the Never2old4soccer when I decided to follow a blog, but after the last few weeks I may certainly be too old for soccer. The blog I was following was http://reshapingitallwithcandace.blogspot.com you see I was turning over a new leaf, I was tired of being out of shape and I needed some help and accountability to do this.  I wanted a some Christian accountability and found this challenge by Candace Cameron Bure. I love exercise and sports and even majored in Recreation because I wanted to "play and get paid for it".  I love to help others see the joy in sports and exercise, but in the last year have had some difficult things happen and I lost focus of this part of my life.
 I had broken my wrist prior to this commitment to the challenge, but I didn't let it stop me from being "gung ho".  My husband, bought me a new mountain bike and got me personal training for my birthday.  I did as much as could with the broken wrist I started running again and ran 2 5k's, had decided to train for a half marathon, and even played one game of soccer before the doctors found another break in my wrist and pulled me out for 3 weeks, but I continued the personal training and running.  I had just been released to play soccer again on Wednesday, May 18th and was scheduled to start occupational therapy on Tuesday, May 24th.
 I was so excited I sent a text to the lady that organizes our soccer team and couldn't wait for Sunday to arrive.  For the first time in a long time I wasn't nervous about playing I was excited to be back and to play just for the exercise.  I had played well, even had two goals, I came out of the game to stretch my Achilles  tendon and with less than 2 minutes of the game went back in, we were ahead and the other team was trying to at least tie us, I blocked the shot with my stomach, and then tried to follow the ball when I felt what I thought was someone stepping on the back of my leg.  I tried to walk, but couldn't I ended up hopping off the field where I was given an ice pack and my husband and a lady from the other team helped me hop to the car.    My husband looked at my leg and because of the swelling and bruising decided to go to the ER.

We waited for a little while in the ER and I was wheeled to the back where I answered a bunch of questions, and the doctor did one simple test, the Thompson Test, that has had a huge impact on my life. The Thompson Test revealed that I had ruptured my Achilles tendon. The doctor immediately put me in a hard splint, told me to get some crutches(recommended not to get them there because of price), and told me to call my primary doctor in the morning to get a referral to the orthopedic surgeon.  Talk about overwhelming, it was a lot to take in such a short time.

We called the primary doctor on Monday, which he gave me his condolences, and we saw the orthopedic surgeon that afternoon.  He also did the Thompson Test, and told me to pull my foot towards me which I tried as hard as I could but could not will my foot to move, he then ordered an MRI.  After viewing the MRI he showed us where I had totally ruptured my Achilles and told us what he would be doing on Wednesday, May 25th during surgery, and explained the healing process.  I was not allowed to put any weight on my left foot. Needless to say I didn't make it to OT on Tuesday because I couldn't drive due to pain medications.

I had out patient surgery on Wednesday and had a huge splint when I came home from the surgery center. I was a little out of it for the next few days with pain and pain meds. I spent most of my time on the couch, I had my post-op appointment on the following Wednesday when they removed the staples,stretched my foot to 90 degrees, and put me in a hard cast for the next few weeks.  My husband and I opted for a knee scooter instead of crutches even though insurance didn't see them as medically necessary, it was necessary for me to be able to feel a little capable.  I still have to lie on the couch with my foot elevated higher than my heart most of the time, but have been able to do some laundry(thanks to the scooter).

As far as exercise, I was really frustrated, I know I need to loose weight that is why I started the challenge and have been working so hard, so when this happened I really couldn't understand the purpose. I still don't know the purpose of this injury but I am not going to let it stop me from trying to start some healthy habits, I can eat healthy sitting on the couch, I try to go for a roll(can't call it a walk if I'm on a scooter) around our block a few times a week, and starting tomorrow I can start lifting low weights with my upper body!

I guess my whole point of this blog is perseverance and optimism.  My new answer when asked "How are you?"  Is "it could always be worse, so I'm just going to be thankful!"
ruptured Achilles tendon
healthy Achilles tendon


after surgery splint

Post op appointment 1
first hard cast




1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
16 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment