Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Truth is . . .

I was reminded recently of how my son's disorder could easily get him in social trouble.  You see my son has no problem telling the truth, actually he tells the truth to a fault.  He doesn't understand social cues and common courtesy. If you ask him what he thinks about your picture of the mountains, he will tell you that it isn't very good.  If you asked him if your clothes make you look fat he would tell you that your fat makes you look fat (good thing he's not old enough to date let alone be married). If you ask him who is his favorite he will tell you Daddy, and his least favorite is Sissy, but just be thankful "because you are one of his favorites"!  The thing is I know with him that he is not trying to be mean, even though the truth can still hurt.
I was having a conversation with my brother and we were solving everyone else's problems by saying "if they only did this they would. . ." then the conversation turned, I said "so what is something that 'if I only' that you would change about me?" I totally opened up a can of worms!!! But it was good, he asked me the same and we could be totally honest without fear.
As I reflected on this conversation and the issues with my son I realized how much I really try to lie to myself.  The bible says “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”  But there are a lot of  times that I do not want to hear the truth, because I think a more common phrase "The truth hurts" seems to be more fitting.  I don't know about you but I will ask for someones opinion, but really what I want is for confirmation either that I look good, or my choices are right, or whatever the case.  Sometimes if someone asks me for my opinion I answer with "my honest opinion?".  What, so otherwise I'm going to lie to them? Hmmm
I'm learning the truth really can set you free, and it does sometimes hurt, but the truth is people who are not afraid to tell you the truth, the truth in love, are the people who are really looking out for your best. Sometimes someone does know better than you or they know a better way to do things. Don't be afraid to listen or to try something new. Check out the video link, it made me think about what I think I know and what I really don't.

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBJV56WUDng

1 comment: