Monday, January 17, 2011

daddy

My dad was diagnosed with "picks" disease around a year or so ago. Picks is kind of like Alzheimer's but from what I understand it is very aggressive. My dad turned 67 in late November. I miss my dad tremendously, but he's still with us.  It just amazes me and hurts me at the same time how much has been taken from my dad in such a short period of time.   The funny thing is I think God gave me a few years with my autistic son, before my dad's diagnosis so I would be a little prepared for the idiosyncrasies of someone with mental issues. I never would have imagined a few years ago when we first started learning about my son and ways to help him, that ultimately it would help me deal with my dad as well.  The hardest part about it being my dad, isn't that he doesn't remember the little things, it's that he doesn't remember us. He remembers my husband as a good friend of his, and me as my husband's wife, but not as his daughter.  Crazy how the brain does that.
My dad wasn't perfect by any means, but he did the best he knew how. I hope my kids will say the same 0f me. My dad taught me to work hard, he taught me the value of a dollar, he taught me how to laugh. I love my dads smile, both his goofy one and his real one.  I love that he would say no matter how big I got i still had a bony butt! Even the days when he was unemployed from what he loved to do(teaching) he still worked to provide as best he could for us.  Nothing will ever take the place of the drive home when I would pick him up from work from the evening shift.  I miss my conversations with my daddy.  I wish we had more, but am so thankful for the ones I had. He recognized my voice for a few seconds the other day, both joy & sadness in such a short conversation. Never take today for granted, God gave this time to you for a reason. Do SOMETHING with it.  There are people out there who need you, they may not know they need you, but please please be willing to stop, look, and listen for ways you may meet the needs of others.

Colossians 1:3-6
 3 We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you, 4 because we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love you have for all God’s people— 5 the faith and love that spring from the hope stored up for you in heaven and about which you have already heard in the true message of the gospel 6 that has come to you. In the same way, the gospel is bearing fruit and growing throughout the whole world—just as it has been doing among you since the day you heard it and truly understood God’s grace.


1 Thessalonians 4:7-12

7 For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life. 8 Therefore, anyone who rejects this instruction does not reject a human being but God, the very God who gives you his Holy Spirit.
 9 Now about your love for one another we do not need to write to you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love each other. 10 And in fact, you do love all of God’s family throughout Macedonia. Yet we urge you, brothers and sisters, to do so more and more, 11 and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you, 12so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.




     I Like this quote I dislike this quote

“Any man can be a father, but it takes a special person to be a dad”






Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.1

2 comments:

  1. Indeed a fitting tribute to a wonderful man. He has taught me much about grace, peace and how to cultivate a servants heart. Thanks dad. Jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know this Heidi. I'm so sorry. My dad died two years ago (tomorrow to be exact). It happened quickly (sort of). He had a horrible year. We were home for that summer and he looked awful, but I was told he hadn't looked that good in a long time. The day he died, I knew he knew that summer was our last good-bye. I didn't...
    You are so right. Take time today to do that something special for someone. Things change in an instant.
    Praying for you and your family today!

    ReplyDelete